Tuesday, April 19, 2011

the shelf

I went down to the ocean to surf today but I sat at the top of Cliffs and watched the waves go from pretty good to not so good in a matter of 15 min. I just sat there staring. Unsure of what I wanted to do. 

Feeling a sense of defeat for not being able to fully motivate myself, I decided not to go and headed back home.

Today I feel broken. Splintered. Or maybe shattered. Like the glass door of the beer fridge at Oliver, that I want to replace but am told not to, as it continues to work just fine. On slow nights at the wine shop I spend my nights staring at it. I remember the night it was broken. I saw it shatter, and yet remain intact because of the two walls of tempered safety glass on each side. But it remains broken on the inside and for all the world to see. A pretty mosaic. A translucent jagged puzzle. People who come into the shop often share that it looks so cool that way, and I always smile and nod, but the truth is, deep down inside I keep wondering if one day soon, it’s all going to fall apart. I'm anticipating the day when I will have to clean it up.

Like the glass, my type of broken is jagged and can cut, but it's not quite so pretty. I have no passerbys stopping to oooh and ahhh. It's just there. Raw emotions tangled up inside of me not knowing their way out.

An adolescent girl is haunting me. She’s not a ghost, but could easily become one if her depression continues to worsen, and her will to live keeps slipping. 

She’s been through so much and my heart overflows with pain for her sorrows. Overflows with rage for the injustice and unfairness that’s fallen and continues to fall upon her. And of course there is fear too. A vat full of it, because I am tasked with helping her step away from her hopelessness and into a better place.

I don’t get to have these feelings at work. They go on an imaginary shelf that sits behind my heart. She talks, I listen. My feelings come up and I automatically shelve them so I can be there for her. So I can be calm enough to take in all that she doles out, and so that I can have enough compassion to house all of her feelings, in hopes that maybe, just maybe, that will help. I shelve everything I feel so that I can listen openly while ignoring the urge to scream. I shelve everything, so there is enough quietness so that maybe, just maybe the right words will come. So that maybe healing will happen.

At the end of yesterday, I just don’t know. I cringe at my smallness. At how limited an hour a week is. What dent will that make? What difference? I just don't know...

And today... the emotions that I put on the shelf topple forward. 

Surfing is not the answer. 

But perhaps a hike is…a long arduous hike, in which I put one foot in front of the other, to get from here to there. To look. To breathe. To take in many moments of infinite appreciation and disdain for the fact that life is so cruel and so beautiful all at the same time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment