Tuesday, January 7, 2020

New Years Traditions

For the past 13 years it’s been a tradition to gather with close friends and welcome the rising sun, write our “word” for the year in the sand and burn our letters to the Universe. One year it was snow instead of sand, however, regardless of where we do this, I love how we’ve  kept up with this for so long. There is something to traditions made and handed down that are so special.

This year’s word for me is Balance. As we prepare to welcome another being into this world and our family I want to find balance in honoring the needs of all my family members as well as myself. Included in this concept, is also the idea of more time to recharge. While I am lucky to have such a rich social circle, I am also an introvert and often run on empty or close to it. I don't think it helps that I'm a social introvert with FOMO, as well as a people pleaser, those factors create a lot of push and pull between wants and energetic/emotional needs. I am tired of feeling depleted or knowing that I'm not as present or bright and shiny as I want to be because I haven't tended to my needs. I want to get better at balancing self care in this way as well.

One of the things I love about the intention in the choosing of a word tradition is not only does it set a goal and guiding point for the year, I also get to learn the word more intimately. I get to understand it’s different facets and meanings as I reflect on life from the perspective of the word. For example, one year my word was Excitement and while I intentionally filled the year with adventure and new experiences I also had to unexpectedly move out of my home and got into a car accident as well. Both which I realized were also “exciting,” though not in my preferred way.

I’m curious to see what the word balance has to teach me in 2020 and will likely update on the insights and reflections.

The hubby’s word this year is Adjust with the intention to adjust smoothly to our coming arrival and what life throws our way. The rule in my family and circle of friends is that if I know your word, I will use it against you. I’ve already done that him this afternoon when he got frustrated with me and I responded that I was giving him an opportunity to practice adjusting :) So there's that other benefit as well.

Our son’s word (he’s 2 so we choose for him) is Share. He’s going to have to learn a great deal of sharing in the year (and years) to come and we want to introduce him to the concept in a positive and values driven way.

And for our baby boy on the way, his word is Healthy which I think is what most expecting parents pray for.

If you’d like to share your “word,” I’d love to hear it. And yes, I may use it against you.

Another tradition I’ve taken on In the past 7-8 years is to make Ozoni, a traditional Japanese soup enjoyed at New Years. It helps me feel close to my Japanese Grandma who passed away. There is something about traditional foods that I love.

I love hearing about others’ traditions so please share if you feel compelled.


https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Up1gFhYpJL9h19kcymUpOcccZIYX7bsU
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1VdFCjzfHKBJfzNUQoYpRPwDs1u74OQLmhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1qVS5WL6r3qGUEPCQw_yArCU6urFRNKbAhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ZBtPJzBtkfe58rAAdGDbHgSEKj7uRbaNhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1SUYD3p_Pr0r0tDj-wn_J3nLKbsv2KG7Ihttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1SrWt54Q7wmjRWqfdDyzHrqTMYMNtbof3https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=107t4pp1cceaP2iHxh-I4_wQ5-budCk6b

Happy New Years! Cheers to 2020 ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment